Thursday, July 10, 2014

Mid Century Modern in Lamp Black, Again!

 I struggled a bit with a decision about the color of this one. I really kind of wanted to do something bright and bold, but that's not always very practical when you are selling furniture. So I went tried and true with Lamp Black.
 
 
This one was in relatively good shape with just a few dings and nicks. I gave it a light overall sanding and cleaned it with TSP.
 
 
I had a similar piece last fall and it sold so fast that it never made it into the house where we have our tag sales.
 
 
So I decided to use the same paint treatment on this one  - General Finishes Milk Paint in Lamp Black. As I mentioned last time, this is not a powder or even a true milk paint, but a water based acrylic. I love the way it goes on smoothly and levels out nicely - perfect for furniture.
 
 
We loaded and delivered this one late in the evening, so the pictures are a little off, but I think you get the idea. I did a light distressing and finished up with two coats of  Minwax Wipe On Poly.
 

And here she is all ready for our summer tag sale next week!
I love these Mid Century Modern pieces. They mix well with other styles of furniture and are so versatile - perfect as a bedroom dresser, a dining room sideboard or a family room media cabinet. And don't you think they just look cool!
 
 
Hope you all have a great weekend!
I'll have a tag sale preview for you soon, I promise!

I'm sharing with ...
Dwellings
Three Mango Seeds
 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

It's awesome! I love mid-century pieces so, so much!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

Twice Nice said...

Both of those looked great in black! Love the looks of that one and I hope you parked it near the door as I suspect it will be moving soon!

Susan - Uniquely Yours or Mine said...

It's so very pretty, I'm not a MCM fan but I love this piece!

Anonymous said...

The lamp black is a beautiful color and your distressing is gorgeous! Love this piece!

Gigi @ Old World Patina

Unknown said...

Looks nice and sleek in Black!

Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

Laurel Stephens said...

This would look right at home in my daughter's mid century modern home! Have fun at next week's sale!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

I absolutely adore it! I love the color choice. I also adore that turquoise shelf sitting on top of it in your space. :)

Ivy & Co said...

I've been on a black streak as well, only with Miss Mustard Seed Typewriter (black) Milk Paint. It just looks so great with the wood showing through!

RPK Interiors said...

Black looks like the perfect choice for this MCM piece, because it is gorgeous! Have fun and good luck at the sale... :)
Robin

Debra said...

Always a fan of black. Lovely piece.